Re: OOM on large SELECT

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Angelo Nicolosi <amenuor(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OOM on large SELECT
Date: 2009-09-16 15:14:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Angelo Nicolosi wrote:

> The dmesg command says:
>
> Out of memory: Killed process 22592 (postgres).

If you are getting OOM-kills from the kernel, that usually means you
have system-wide memory exhaustion.

> I wrote some C-Language functions, added on a database [...]

Since the size of a JVM is roughly constant, I would guess that the
problem actually lies in your C code.

Alternatively your system just doesn't have enough virtual memory
configured to do whatever it is you're trying to do. Add more swap.

Either way, it doesn't look like a JDBC driver problem based on the
information you have given.

-O