Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add Unicode support in PL/Python

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add Unicode support in PL/Python
Date: 2009-09-13 22:23:04
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>>> I am completely unable to reproduce the buildfarm failures, even with
>>> different Python versions and the exact configure options that the
>>> buildfarm instances use. Does anyone have an affected build and wants
>>> to work through this with me?
>>>
>> I am going out shortly, but if you send me your ssh PK before I go I
>> will set you an account up on dungbeetle which is failing and you can
>> play there.
>>

> This is fixed now.
>
> The reason this was not reproducible manually but showed up so
> dramatically in the build farm is that almost all buildfarm machines use
> SQL_ASCII as server encoding. While it's evidently good that we have
> some machines testing that, we should probably also have more machines
> testing the UTF8 and other code paths. Also, perhaps I'm missing
> something, but it could have helped if the buildfarm logs showed the
> locale and/or encoding somewhere.

Support for various locales and encodings is a relatively recent
addition to the buildfarm, and many members have not yet updated. But
dungbeetle has, for example. And you can see tests there run both in
C/SQL_ASCII and en_US.utf8. See
<http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=dungbeetle&dt=2009-09-12%2016:44:02>
I know some of the boxes run at Sun (e.g. gothic_moth) also do checks in
several locale/encoding combinations.

cheers

andrew