Re: pg_connect() error

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Arun Oakley <arun(dot)oakley(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_connect() error
Date: 2009-09-10 22:51:14
Lists: pgsql-php

Arun Oakley wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> we have a postgres db with a hosting company and have been trying to
> connect to. error is below.
> *Warning*: pg_connect() [function.pg-connect
> <http://hoopsgm.net/test/function.pg-connect>]: Unable to connect to
> PostgreSQL server: could not connect to server: Connection refused Is
> the server running on host "pgdb1.host-ed.net
> <http://pgdb1.host-ed.net>" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 3306?

Port 3306 is usually mysql not postgres.

Postgres (by default) uses 5432.

> from my trawling around google i have found that it could be related to
> the postgres.conf file and turning on tcpip sockets to true?? (i cannot
> view/edit any postgres conf files)

> oh and those are the host/port details supplied by hosting provider
>

> any help would be appreciated in pointing on the right path.

Make sure they know you want a postgres db, not mysql.

Apart from that, if you can't view a postgres.conf file let alone change
it, you need to raise a support issue with them to fix it.

Do they allow remote connections to their database? Maybe they don't for
security reasons.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/