Re: Ragged CSV import

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ragged CSV import
Date: 2009-09-10 03:13:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> However, I'm skeptical about whether the specific
> thing you want to do after parsing (namely, drop excess columns,
> null-fill missing ones) is sufficiently common to warrant a feature to
> do only that. YMMV, of course.

So might my experience. I can tell you that I have been asked about this
dozens of times since implementing CSV import, in various forums. From
day one people have wanted a way of handling CSVs which were not
strictly regular. Pretty much every time the request has been something
fairly close to this.

As for the feature not being large enough, we have a regrettable
(IMNSHO) tendency in this project to take simple proposals and embelish
them with many bells and whistles. Personally, I'm much more of a fan of
incremental development.

cheers

andrew