Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #17212: pg_amcheck fails on checking temporary relations
Date: 2021-10-04 23:34:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> On Oct 4, 2021, at 4:28 PM, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> pg_amcheck -i idx1 -i idx2 -i idx3

I forgot to mention: There's a continuum between `pg_amcheck -a` which checks everything in all databases of the cluster, and `pg_amcheck -i just_one_index`. There are any number of combinations of object names, schema names, database names, and patterns over the same, which select anything from an empty set to a huge set of things to check. I'm trying to keep the behavior the same for all of those, and that's why I'm trying to avoid having `pg_amcheck -a` silently skip indexes that are unavailable for checking while having `pg_amcheck -i just_one_index` give a report about the index. I wouldn't know where to draw the line between reporting the issue and not, and I doubt whatever line I choose will be intuitive to users.

Mark Dilger
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company