Re: handle audiofiles in postgres

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: edisan <urs(dot)edisan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: handle audiofiles in postgres
Date: 2009-09-03 05:03:05
Lists: pgsql-general

edisan wrote:
> Can anyone used or tell me how to handle audio files in postgres
>
> Audio files may be in wav / vox / dss format and each have average 30
> min running time.

probably too large to want to store in the database, as a 30 minute PCM
.WAV file in CD quality could easily be 300 megabytes, even in a MP3
format it might be 30MB if high-fidelity, and maybe 6MB if lower voice
quality, thats -still- larger than I'd want to store as database rows,
anyways, there's nothing really relational about the audio data.

I'd suggest storing them as standard disk files, and putting the
location (path, filename) in the database. if you need to access them
from multiple systems, store them on an http or similar server....