Re: Linux LSB init script

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Linux LSB init script
Date: 2009-09-02 14:13:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On tis, 2009-09-01 at 12:04 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:

>> I wouldn't expect a packaged SuSE build to cater to all of that;
>> but it would be nice if they donated their init script to the
>> PostgreSQL project, so that those of us who have a reason to build
>> from source on SuSE have have a convenient starting point in the
>> source distribution of PostgreSQL.
>
> Well, no one needs to donate anything. If you are interested in
> maintaining it, just take it and put it under contrib/start-scripts.

Hmmm... I didn't look at the SuSE init script for PostgreSQL before
writing my LSB script because

(1) I was concerned that any similarities might be considered a
violation of some copyright. By writing them "cold" I had the "clean
room" argument -- similarities are because it's the obvious way to
solve the problem; noting was copied, so there is no violation of the
copyright.

(2) We don't have the distribution's PostgreSQL package installed on
any of our machines, so I'd have to install it and risk breaking
something to even have a look at it.

My assumption was that, like most of the init scripts in the SuSE
distribution, it would contain this:

# Copyright (c) 2006 SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany.
# All rights reserved.

and that I would be violating that copyright by copying it to
PostgreSQL. Am I wrong?

-Kevin