Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bhushan Verma <verma(dot)bhushan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: FATAL: the database system is in recovery mode
Date: 2009-08-31 14:44:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-novice

Bhushan Verma wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to run as follows queries
> ----------
> SELECT PageIndex,
> (SUM(ConnectDoneTime - StartTime) * 100) / SUM(EndTime - StartTime)
> AS "ConnectTimePct",
> (SUM(WriteCompleTime - ConnectDoneTime) * 100) / SUM(EndTime -
> StartTime) AS "RequestSentTimePct",
> (SUM(FirstByteRcdTime - WriteCompleTime) * 100) / SUM(EndTime -
> StartTime) AS "FirstByteTimePct",
> (SUM(EndTime - FirstByteRcdTime) * 100) / SUM(EndTime - StartTime) AS
> "DownloadTimePct"
> FROM UrlRecord_$1
> WHERE EndTime <> 0
> AND ConnectDoneTime <> 0
> AND WriteCompleTime <> 0
> AND FirstByteRcdTime <> 0
> GROUP By PageIndex
> ORDER By PageIndex;
>
> -----------
> after running this query, I am getting as follows error
> -----------
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
>
> connection to server was lost
> Is there any limitations or some database configuration problem.
> Can anyone please help me in this regards.

A segmentation fault is certainly not normal, but it's hard to tell if
it's caused by a bug, misconfigured or buggy 3rd party modules, or
faulty hardware without some more information. Like:

- What version of PostgreSQL you are using?
- What does "UrlRecord_$1" table look like?
- What is your operating system?

A backtrace would help a lot to pinpoint the problem. Please run "ulimit
-c unlimited" or similar to enable core dumps, and then do:

gdb <path to postgres binary>/postgres $PGDATA/core
> bt

and post the output.

--
Heikki Linnakangas