Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-27 22:35:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon,

> The level of detailed planning happening now is a change for the
> community and in general I think it's a good thing. In the past we've
> always said it will be shipped when it's ready, and now we seem to be
> caught by our own rules. There's no need to make hard decisions now.
> Let's keep some flexibility in our thinking. If the structures give us
> problems, lets change the structures. The idea is the plans help the
> developers, not hinder them or make it harder to include big features.

There's some very good reasons for the health of the project to have
specific release dates and stick to them. "When will it be released" is
an important question to answer, and it's far better for the developers
who *aren't* working on big features to not be elastic.

So, with that in mind: what is your statement on three versus four
commitfests? Does it make a difference to you?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.