Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-27 03:14:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>>> That is a slightly alarmist. Who are we going to lose these users to?
>
>> Drizzle. MySQL forks. CouchDB. Any database which has replication
>> which you don't need a professional DBA to understand. Whether or not
>> it works.
>
> You haven't explained why we'd lose such folk next year when we haven't
> lost them already. MySQL has had replication (or at least has checked
> off the bullet point ;-)) for years.

I think it's a slow but ongoing stream of organizations that are
switching away using logic similar to the thoughts outlined here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-05/msg00955.php
"...switched their bugzilla from Postgres to MySQL because the
admins didn't want to deal with Slony any more. People want simple."

MySQL may not have caught postgres in a number of ways yet, but
it's good enough now for many of the things it wasn't good enough
for earlier. And if it's good enough and easier, it's easy to switch.