Re: 8.5 release timetable, again

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Jean-Michel Pouré <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date: 2009-08-26 15:37:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jean-Michel Pouré wrote:

> Everytime I try a new Drupal module under PostgreSQL, I run into tiny
> SQL problems ranging from error to performance drop. The most
> problematic problem is http://drupal.org/node/559986

I strongly suspect this post badly mis-diagnoses the problem.

> IMHO for what I know from the porting work (I worked heavily on PHPBB3
> and now Drupal), the first goal is to achieve compatibility with issues
> mentioned there: http://drupal.org/node/555514 and add mysql compat
> functions in PostgreSQL core without breaking existing code.

That might be your goal, but it's not the community's goal, I believe.
There are already external projects for compatibility libraries. You are
never going to achieve 100% compatibility.

> To win over MySQL, the best is to work on materialized views. There are
> very good articles available from hackers. Why not port to C.
> Materialized which which update when the data is needed would be
> perfect.

IIRC some work was being done on materialised views.

> Web apps are 95% of PostgreSQL possible users.

Most applications these days have a web front end. But that doesn't mean
the database needs to be terribly aware of them. To the database, a web
server is just another client.

cheers

andrew