Re: Number of tables

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "Craig James" <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>, <fabio(dot)lafarcioli(at)molinoalimonti(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Number of tables
Date: 2009-08-24 14:29:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:

> Creating new catalog entries for [temp tables] gives up -- what I
> think is the whole point of their design -- their lack of DDL
> overhead.

As long as we're brainstorming... Would it make any sense for temp
tables to be created as in-memory tuplestores up to the point that we
hit the temp_buffers threshold? Creating and deleting a whole set of
disk files per temp table is part of what makes them so heavy.
(There's still the issue of dealing with the catalogs, of course....)

-Kevin