Re: Stored procedures, PDO, and PHP issue

From: Andy Shellam <andy-lists(at)networkmail(dot)eu>
To: Eric Chamberlain <Eric(dot)Chamberlain(at)zonarsystems(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stored procedures, PDO, and PHP issue
Date: 2009-08-19 21:15:41
Lists: pgsql-php

Hi Eric,

> Unfortunately this does not work or I maybe doing it wrong. New code:
> $stmt = $db->prepare("SELECT is_password_expired($1::integer,
> $2::varchar);
> $stmt->bindValue(1, settype($userId, "integer"), PDO::PARAM_INT);
> $stmt->bindValue(2, $hashPass, PDO::PARAM_STR);
> $stmt->execute();

settype() doesn't return anything so it needs to be used on it's own
line. E.g.:

$userId = "2"; // string
settype($userId, 'integer'); // $userId is now an integer
$stmt->bindValue(1, $userId, PDO::PARAM_INT);

> I get a blank screen. I've tried setting the error reporting level to:
>
> error_reporting(E_ALL);
>
> before calling the above code. Our servers are configured to display
> errors, etc. The fact that it just goes blank tells me there is a
> bigger issue going on.

Does your server definitely have display_errors set to On as well as the
error_reporting line, and it's not been overridden by your application?
I've only ever known really serious errors (i.e. core dumps) to not
display anything even when display_errors is set to on. What's logged
in your Apache or IIS error log?

Lastly have you tried "named" parameters? From the PHP manual:
(actually the PostgreSQL syntax "$1::integer" I suggested may have
caused PHP to crash as PDO uses a colon to introduce a named parameter.)

|$stmt = $dbh->prepare("INSERT INTO REGISTRY (name, value) VALUES (:name, :value)");
$stmt->bindParam(':name', $name);
$stmt->bindParam(':value', $value);|

Andy