Re: build error

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: vanek <vanek(at)acd(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: build error
Date: 2009-08-17 04:05:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

vanek wrote:
> Uh, it works for everybody else. What platform are you testing on?
> (The kernel version isn't a real helpful answer, since it's unlikely
> this is a kernel issue.)
>
> While I'm not certain how it would lead to this exact failure, one
> thing to check is that your machine's clock is set correctly ---
> file timestamps that seem to be in the future can cause "make" to
> skip necessary steps.
>
> regards, tom lane
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I'm building on debian etch. The time is set properly. The .h was
> generated,
> just incorrectly, and 'make' didn't skip this step. The problem lies
> somewhere
> downstream from make, possibly with gawk or bash or the bash
> environment. If
> you don't think it's a problem, it's not a problem. I just thought I'd
> report
> it because I know a few others have encountered this error, too.

There are quite a few debian members of the buildfarm that are not
having any problem - see
<http://www.pgbuildfarm.org/cgi-bin/show_status.pl>. So the question is
"why are you having a problem they aren't having?" You haven't given us
nearly enough information to be able to guess why it should be so. You
need to show us a) the output from configure and b) the complete output
from make (both stdout and stderr). c) the configure options you are
using. Are you having this problem with a fresh checkout?

cheers

andrew