Re: machine-readable explain output v4

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Mike" <ipso(at)snappymail(dot)ca>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: machine-readable explain output v4
Date: 2009-08-11 21:54:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

>> find it more tiresome to read. In effect we are swapping horizontal
>> expansion for vertical expansion. It would be nicer to be able to
>> fit a plan into a screen.
>
> Isn't that what text format is for?

In my experience XML which represents anything of any real complexity
is tiresome to read, period. I would worry more about it accurately
representing the data and being easy to massage with software. That's
not an opinion on any particular choice here, just on what should
matter in making a choice.

-Kevin