Re: Duplicate Events (and other stuff)..

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duplicate Events (and other stuff)..
Date: 2009-08-10 14:16:11
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Guillaume Smet<guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Dave Page<dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>
>>> If the text contains links to different courses, then of course, it
>>> must be corrected, and then meet the requirements of the policy to be
>>> listed. As someone who doesn't speak more than the most basic French,
>>> I have to rely on Guillaume's interpretation/translation.
>>>
>> The presentation of the course on their website doesn't mention
>> PostgreSQL at all, as Chander mentioned it.
>>
>> On the PostgreSQL website, there is the following mention in their
>> event description:
>> "== PRE-REQUIS ==
>>
>> Connaissances de base de PostgreSQL"
>>
>> which can be translated to:
>>
>> "== PREREQUISITES ==
>>
>> Basic knowledge of PostgreSQL"
>>
>> I suppose that it's because they use PostgreSQL as the MapServer
>> backend but that's a supposition and that may be too unrelated for our
>> policy.
>>

> I think it's related enough, though I'd like to see the same
> requirements reflected in their website.
>
> FYI, my view is that we should include any training events in which
> PostgreSQL is a part of the technology stack and will be used directly
> in some way. It helps show the visitors to our site the diverse range
> of activities and applications in use around the project. If you see
> what I mean :-)

The problem I see is that it opens the events page up to lots of things
that are fairly unrelated to PostgreSQL. For example, a Python course
that teaches users how to interface with PostgreSQL, a PHP course that
does the same, Perl training, etc...

IMHO, people who go to the training page are looking for PostgreSQL
training, they might be discouraged by a large number of "noise" courses
that are barely related to PostgreSQL. I think it's unlikely that
someone would browse to that page to see "how diverse the range of
activities are".... It's unlikely that someone would go to the
PostgreSQL.org site looking for MapServer training....

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.