Re: Patch for 8.5, transformationHook

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Patch for 8.5, transformationHook
Date: 2009-08-10 16:54:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> reimplement a bunch of core functionality like COALESCE

If such an effort could reduce the astonishment factor for the
following, it would justify a certain amount of effort, in my view:

test=# select pg_typeof('x');
pg_typeof
-----------
unknown
(1 row)

test=# select pg_typeof(null);
pg_typeof
-----------
unknown
(1 row)

test=# select pg_typeof(coalesce(null, null));
pg_typeof
text
(1 row)

We now have workarounds in place for everywhere this bit us on
conversion to PostgreSQL, but it was actually one of the greater
sources of pain in that process....

-Kevin