Re: Table and Index compression

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table and Index compression
Date: 2009-08-06 19:32:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/6/09 2:39 AM, PFC wrote:

> With the talk about adding compression to pg_dump lately, I've been
> wondering if tables and indexes could be compressed too.
> So I've implemented a quick on-the-fly compression patch for postgres

I find this very interesting, and would like to test it further on some
client workloads, before you/we put more work into completing it.

I think if we can implement compressed database as an option (perhaps at
initdb time, perhaps at tablespace creation time) then it will be very
attractive.

Where is the patch?

BTW, who are you actually?

--