Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz
Cc: Rauan Maemirov <rauan(at)maemirov(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Date: 2009-07-30 16:05:09
Lists: pgsql-performance

My additional comments:

tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz wrote:
>> For future upgrade, what is the basic steps?

0. Create test database - work out bugs and performance issues before
going live.
> 1. create database

...cluster. You only need to create the individual database if the
options you select for the dump do not create the database(s).
> 2. dump the data from the old database

...using the dump tools from the *new* version. With several cores, you
might want to consider using the binary dump options in pg_dump if you
want to use the new parallel restore feature in pg_restore with a
possible dramatic increase in restore speed (benchmarks I've seen
suggest that with 8 cores you may even see an almost 8x restore speedup
so it's worth the effort). The manual suggests that setting --jobs to
the number of cores on the server is a good first approximation. See the
-Fc options on pg_dump and the --jobs option in pg_restore for details.

Cheers,
Steve