Re: V8.3 fails to start after unremming hba_file = 'ConfigDir/pg_hba.conf'

From: Chris <dmagick(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: alan(at)anitltd(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: V8.3 fails to start after unremming hba_file = 'ConfigDir/pg_hba.conf'
Date: 2009-07-29 23:36:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Alan Deane wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and knows an answer. This
> is the first time I have used postgres so I am at a loss after trying
> many things as to how to solve the problem.
>

> I've unremmed the line hba_file = 'ConfigDir/pg_hba.conf' in the
> postgresql.conf file as I want to be able to connect to the data base
> from another machine on my LAN.
> I have also added the IP range into the pg_hba.conf file.
>
> Now I get a Windows Services error saying the server started and stopped
> and no access on the local machine, unsurprisingly.
>
> Having a look at the event viewer showed the following error.
>
> %t FATAL: could not open configuration file
> "C:/WINDOWS/system32/ConfigDir/pg_hba.conf": No such file or directory
>
> Hmm, that's interesting, why would it be looking there and not in the
> data folder where pg_hba.conf resides?

Because you've supplied a relative path.

You can supply a full path:

G:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3/data/pg_hba.conf

or leave it commented out for it to look in the data/ folder you specify
already.

> Also despite enabling the network IP addresses in pg_hba.conf I still
> can’t connect to the database from a remote machine. Although I’d like
> to solve the system32 problem first before I start worrying about
> network connections.

Can you post the uncommented parts of pg_hba.conf and what ip you are
trying to connect from?

Also what's the error?

and lastly - have you opened port 5432 in your firewall?

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/