Re: Location of databases

From: Peter Jackson <mltasmaniac(at)tasjackson(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Location of databases
Date: 2009-07-28 12:26:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Andreas Wenk wrote:
> Michael Wood schrieb:
>> 2009/7/28 Andreas Wenk <a(dot)wenk(at)netzmeister-st-pauli(dot)de>:
>>> john shipley schrieb:
>> [...]
>>
>> I don't know anything about PSPP, but you cannot directly access the
>> files used by PostgreSQL. You have to use a client like psql or
>> ODBC/JDBC or the PostgreSQL client libraries to talk to PostgreSQL and
>> PostgreSQL reads/writes the files itself. This is why the location of
>> the files is generally not something you need to know. What you do
>> need to know is things like the IP address of the machine running
>> PostgreSQL and the port number that PostgreSQL is running on (unless
>> you're on the same machine and you're using a Unix domain socket to
>> talk to PostgreSQL.)
>
> hm - I think you are right. So maybe this PSPP is not working with a
> database like PG at all. Or something else has to be set up.
>
> My focus was more to show where the files and direcotries are located
> generally. Maybe this was not helping to find a solution ...
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy

Havent used PSPP but if its the one available on gnu.org a quick flick
thru the docs reveals it will work with postgres. It uses LIBPQ-Connect
for its connection.

The format is (eg)
GET DATA /TYPE=PSQL
/CONNECT='host=example.com port=5432 dbname=product user=fred
passwd=xxxx'
/SQL='select * from manufacturer'.
Naturally you insert your stuff.

Peter Jackson

(and my apologies to the list maintainers over my lousy mail sending
skills lately)
(aarrggh I did it again!)(must remember use the registered address not
the other address)