Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
To: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SE-PostgreSQL Specifications
Date: 2009-07-25 00:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sam Mason wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 07:23:22AM +0900, KaiGai Kohei wrote:
>> Thanks, but I found an incorrect change at the trusted procedure section.
>>
>> Old)
>> CREATE TABLE customer (
>> cid integer primary key,
>> cname varchar(32),
>> credit varchar(32)
>> - SECURITY_LABEL = 'system_u:object_r:sepgsql_secret_table_t:s0'
>> - );
>>
>> New)
>> CREATE TABLE customer (
>> cid integer primary key,
>> cname varchar(32),
>> credit varchar(32)
>> + ) SECURITY_LABEL = 'system_u:object_r:sepgsql_secret_table_t:s0';
>>
>> This example intends to assign "secret" label on the credit column,
>> not whole of the table. Note that the default security context shall
>> be assigned on the table and rest of columns in this case.
>
> The show_credit() function in this section would seem to leak authority
> as well; it seems possible to determine if customers exist that
> otherwise may otherwise hidden. For example, imagine we have a row
> in the customer table with cid=1 whose security label would normally
> prevent. We can perform:
>
> SELECT show_credit(1);
>
> and, as far as I can tell, this call would succeed.

This example shows that confined client cannot read credit card number
without using trusted procedure, but trusted procedure returns masked one.
It does not intend to hide existence of entries within customer table.

See the third box in the section.

postgres=# SELECT cid, cname FROM customer;
cid | cname
10 | jack
13 | adam
14 | liza
(3 rows)

This query does not read from customer.credit, so it should be succeeded.

Thanks,