Re: Extensions User Design

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extensions User Design
Date: 2009-07-23 16:09:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
>
>> INSTALL chinese_calendar;
>> IMPORT FROM chinese_calendar SECTION (default) INTO SCHEMA pg_extension;
>> IMPORT FROM chinese_calendar SECTION (year_names) INTO SCHEMA lookups;
>>

> Please see Andrew Dunstan mail about using some notion of ALIAS (is that
> a standard compliant SYNONYM?) for handling this:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg01391.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-05/msg01401.php

Please particularly see this sentence: "But unless someone wants to
tackle that I think we should leave schema management entirely alone,
and leave it up to the extension author / DBA between them."

I think we are in some danger of massively overdesigning this feature
(and of repeating past discussions with little extra content). Please
don't keep adding bells and whistles. The best development is almost
always incremental. Let's start simple and then add features.

cheers

andrew