Re: Hadoop backend?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Paul Sheer <paulsheer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hadoop backend?
Date: 2009-07-22 03:29:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Paul Sheer wrote:
> Hadoop backend for PostGreSQL....

Resurrecting an old thread, it seems some guys at Yale implemented
something very similar to what this thread was discussing.

http://dbmsmusings.blogspot.com/2009/07/announcing-release-of-hadoopdb-longer.html

> >It's an open source stack that includes PostgreSQL Hadoop, and Hive, along
> >with some glue between PostgreSQL and Hadoop, a catalog, a data loader, and
> >an interface that accepts queries in MapReduce or SQL and generates query
> >plans that are processed partly in Hadoop and partly in different PostgreSQL
> >instances spread across many nodes in a shared-nothing cluster of machines.

Their detailed paper is here:

http://db.cs.yale.edu/hadoopdb/hadoopdb.pdf

According to the paper, it scales very well.