git revisited

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: git revisited
Date: 2009-07-20 20:17:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[changing subject, as we seem to have done]

Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 01:00:12PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>>> I might think about it when/if we move to git.
>>>

>> As far as you're concerned, what's blocking that?
>>

> Lack of committer familiarity with git, lack of a bulletproof migration
> process, uncertainty about preferred multi-branch patching techniques,
> uncertainty about buildfarm integration, etc etc. Do I really need to
> repeat the previous discussions to you? AFAIR none of the open
> questions have gotten resolved with any clarity.

I have been derailed slightly by pressure of other work from making the
buildfarm client git-capable. But it is still quite high on my TODO list.

I'm not sure where we got to with doing some surgery on the CVS repo so
that we can replicate all the tags and branches properly. Has someone
fully identified what needs to be fixed so we can have all the tags?

cheers

andrew