Re: Higher TOAST compression.

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Laurent Laborde" <kerdezixe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Higher TOAST compression.
Date: 2009-07-17 21:10:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Laurent Laborde <kerdezixe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> What about SET STORAGE MAIN then ? To prevent out-of-line storage ?

Well, that doesn't try as hard as you might think to keep from storing
data out-of-line. It uses the same threshold as the default EXTENDED
storage, but saves the out-of-line option for such columns as the last
thing to try to get it within the threshold. It is because I wrote a
very small patch to address that issue that I jumped in on your issue.

If you wanted to try my patch here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4A3638530200002500027A95@gw.wicourts.gov

you could adjust both TOAST_TUPLES_PER_PAGE_MAIN and
TOAST_TUPLES_PER_PAGE to suit your needs and set storage for columns
to MAIN as needed. Be very cautious if you try this, because this
patch has not yet been reviewed or accepted.

-Kevin