Re: Hard link / rsync backup strategy successful

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "[ADMIN]" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hard link / rsync backup strategy successful
Date: 2009-07-16 22:19:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Kevin,

Kevin Grittner wrote:
> You have apparently missed the fact that rsync (unless you go out of
> your way to defeat this) will copy to a temporary filename, and then
> mv the new file in place of the old. This doesn't modify the old
> file; it unlinks the copy you are replacing, leaving any other
> directory entries which point at the old data unaffected.

Ahh, there's the subtlety that I missed. :-) I figured I was missing
something, since at face value it seems like your hard link strategy is
doomed to fail.

Thanks for the clarification :-) That's a pretty nifty mechanism to
retain your old database versions. I suppose you just have to be
careful to make a copy of the cluster before trying to start it up (lest
you break an older or newer backup).

--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.