Re: stable snapshots...

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: stable snapshots...
Date: 2009-07-15 20:50:39
Lists: pgsql-www

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>> Not sure about the usefulness of the extra stable tarballs ... doesn't
>>> most of the back patching happen just as we are about to release the new
>>> versions?
>
>> Not sure where you got that idea. There are plenty of times when
>> somebody (mostly Tom) commits a bugfix and tells the reporter, stating
>> that the release date of the new version is some undetermined point in
>> the future. Not everyone is able to grab the patch from CVS and apply
>> it; my guess is that most people simply wait for the next stable
>> release. Those people would benefit from having the older stable
>> branches, so here's a +1 to Stefan's idea.
>
> Yeah. When we have fixed a bug but not yet released an official version
> with the fix, somebody who needs that bug fix has three choices:
> * manually apply the patch to a recent tarball;
> * pull from CVS;
> * use a nightly snapshot.
> The first two cases require having extra tools like appropriate bison
> and flex versions (which right now is looking like a bigger deal than
> I would wish :-().

actually nagios just noticed that we managed to break our own -HEAD
snapshot generation with this change as well...
I have now fixed that script(and installed a more modern flex on
developer.postgresql.org) as well but I think we have some more work to
do in order to improve the robustness of those scripts...

Stefan