PL/Python debugging - line numbers

From: Mike Toews <mwtoews(at)sfu(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PL/Python debugging - line numbers
Date: 2009-07-14 23:41:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Debugging PL/Python isn't as easy as with PL/pgSQL, as it appears I
can't see line numbers where errors occur. For example:

ERROR: plpython: function "evaluate_something" failed
DETAIL: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: sequence index must be integer,
not 'str'

The location of this type of exception is difficult to spot out in 366
lines of code. Is there a way to report where the error occurred? I'm
using 8.3.7 via apt-get on Ubuntu Hardy LTS. I see the same message on
the server using pgsql and in pgAdmin III on a different machine. I've
tried using such options as "set client_min_messages to debug;" but this
doesn't change the details of the error.

Thanks,

-Mike