Re: Upgrading our minimum required flex version for 8.5

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading our minimum required flex version for 8.5
Date: 2009-07-13 17:16:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I see that a good-sized
>> fraction of the buildfarm is still on flex 2.5.4 and will therefore go
>> red when this goes in. Should I hold off a bit longer, or is committing
>> the best way to get their attention?
>>

> Probably the latter. I will update my various members. I see that
> 2.5.4 is the default on my FBSD install, which is the latest, so for
> this and maybe some other current platforms we'll be imposing a bit of
> extra burden to build, but I guess that's the price of progress.

OK, the fly in this ointment turns out to be MSVC. The latest flex from
GnuWin32 is 2.5.4a, and building 2.5.35 for Windows is turning out to be
quite a pain. Luckily, MinGW has a pre-built modified 2.5.33 available,
and I have installed this (also needed msys-regex), and then I jury
rigged my MSVC build to use it, so we still have one MSVC working OK in
the buildfarm. But we can hardly ask people to install MinGW/MSys so
they can build with MSVC, that's horribly ugly. I'll work on getting
version 2.5.35 build for Windows in a way that works standalone, and
push it somewhere (maybe the dev wiki).

cheers

andrew