Re: First CommitFest: July 15th

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First CommitFest: July 15th
Date: 2009-07-04 01:11:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ron Mayer wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,...the first CF on July 15th.
>
> Would it make the CommitFest easier if there were an additional
> column which indicates what CVS-version of Postgres the patch
> cleanly applies to?
>
> Perhaps a patch submitter could indicate the CVS date/time
> with which he developed the patch. If a reviewer happens
> to apply the patch on a later version he could update it as
> cleanly applying at that later date.
>
> Commiters could feel free to ignore patches that are
> sufficiently far off of HEAD, so it might make work easier
> for them too.

I think the patch should apply cleanly to HEAD at the time it is
submitted. The actual CVS versions should be visible in the patch.
Normally we will try to take care of any subsequent bitrot - I don't
think developers should have to pay too high a price for our processes.
Occasionally a developer will be asked to help in removing the bitrot,
but that is usually the first thing I try to do in a review, after
applying the simple eyeballs test.

In theory this is an area where a more sophisticated SCM system will
help us some.

(Actually, you often learn a lot that way - it's a good exercise for all
of us.)

cheers

andrew