Re: PGXS problem with pdftotext

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGXS problem with pdftotext
Date: 2009-07-02 21:03:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> writes:
>> PG_CPPFLAGS =-I/usr/include/poppler -shared -fpic
>> SHLIB_LINK = -lpoppler -L/usr/local/lib
>
> It doesn't seem appropriate to put -shared or -fpic into
> PG_CPPFLAGS. If you need those, the makefiles should add them
> automatically.
>
> The other thing that seems peculiar is looking for the include files
> in /usr/include and the library in /usr/local/lib. I've never
> seen any package install itself like that --- either everything goes
> under /usr/local or nothing does. I suspect you might have two
> incompatible poppler installations on the machine and you're picking
> up the wrong combination of files.
>
> Running ldd or local equivalent on pdftotext.so might help you
> determine what's going on as far as finding the library goes.

Thanks. Let's just say that the poppler build from source has not
ever gone as smoothly as the most eventful PostgreSQL build from
source. We've had to do much ad hoc hacking to get anything usable,
and I'm sure we've made some bad choices in the process. I'll take a
close look at where everything has landed in light of your advice, and
see if I can arrange things more sensibly.

Does it seem likely that fixing these issues will allow PGXS to work?

-Kevin