Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 18:19:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> How could we have possibly completed the last commit-fest and gotten
> ready for beta in two months --- that is just not realistic. I
> think we anticipated a 2x longer final commit-fest, two months, but
> there was no time scheduled for actual beta preparation.

For my edification, could you point me at something which identifies
the work needed after everything is committed and before the first
beta is released? (I can't remember reading anything like that, but
it may have fallen through the cracks.)

If no such page exists, could you sketch out a brief outline?

> I think there was some ideal that we wouldn't need any time to
> prepare for beta and that we would have dealt with all bugs by the
> time the last commit-fest is complete, but that is illusory.

I thought one of the purposes of the two-month beta testing phase on
the calendar was to find and fix bugs. That was in addition to the
two month final commit-fest.

-Kevin