Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 18:05:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> writes:
>> That showed a January 1 beta release and a March 1 production
>> release.
>
> Terminological problem. Around here, "release" *always* means
> production release. We don't expect end users to be very interested
> in pre-production versions.

Well, I actually phrased it with managers here that 8.4 was scheduled
to go to beta on January 1st, but that the actual release date was
less predictable because the PostgreSQL community worries more about
having a solid release than hitting a release date. Based on
discussions on the hackers list, I actually had the impression that
there would be a concerted effort to hit the beta date.

But, yeah -- on this thread I got the dates confused a bit. I'm happy
to see that the slippage was less severe than I had got myself
thinking it was. A third of a year, rather than half.

-Kevin