Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>, "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date: 2009-06-30 22:18:44
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh,

>> We could have a survey up on pugs in 30 minutes.
>>

> Or .US for that matter.

Yeah, don't have much time to test though.

EDB has an account with SurveyMethods, which should be able to scale to
as many people want to take it.

The new set of questions and options is below my Sig. I think you'll
find that the "EDB Content" is gone. There's a few question fixes still
pending, but this is largely what it'll be.

My thought was, just put it up in News, and I may put a link in my blog
since I've worked on it some.

Simon isn't OK with it even so ... others?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

1.

How long have you been using PostgreSQL?

Less than 1 year
1 to 2 years
2 to 5 years
5 years or more
*2.

What do you use PostgreSQL for?

Personal
Business – Internal applications and operations
Business – in products which we sell
Government
Non-Profit / NGO
Education
If other, please specify
3.

If you answered either ‘Business’ above, what kind of business is your
company in (select all that apply) ?

Producing Software
Commercial Website or Web Infrastructure
IT Consulting or Services
Non-IT Consulting or Services
Retail
Manufacturing
If other, please specify
*4.

What other databases do you use in the above capacity (select all that
apply)?

DB/2
Sybase
Informix
MySQL
Ingres
None
Oracle
SQL Server
If other, please specify
*5.

What size is your organization in terms of revenue?

Non-profit or Government
Less than $250K
$250K to 1M
1 to $10M
10 to $100M
$100M or more

What size is your organization in terms of people?

Less than 10
101 to 1000
1000 or more
*7.

How large is your primary database (the database most closely tied to
your organization's operations or business)? If you have a clustered
database, or have partitioned your database across multiple servers,
please estimate total size.

Less than 1GB
1 to 10GB
11 to 100GB
100GB to 1TB
1 to 10 TB
10 TB or more
*8.

On how many servers are you running PostgreSQL supporting production
applications?

None
1
2 to 4
5 to 10
11 to 50
51 or more
*9.

How many application end users does the primary database support?

Less than 100
100 to 1000
1000 to 10K
10K to 100K
100K or more
*10.

How many transactions does the primary database process per day?

Less than 1000
1K to 10K
10 to 100K
100K to 1M
1 to 10M
10M or more

Which vendor manufactured your database server hardware (check all that
apply)?

HP
Dell
IBM
MAC
Sun
Rackable
Self-built (whitebox) servers
Hosted in 3rd-party Data Center or Cloud
If other, please specify
*12.

On what operating system does your primary database run?

Windows
Apple OSX
Solaris
AIX
FreeBSD
HP-UX
Linux
Windows
MAC
Solaris
AIX
Linux
If other, please specify
*13.

What type of applications is the primary database used for?

OLTP or e-Commerce
Web Content Management / Collaboration / Social Network
Business Intelligence / Data Warehousing / Information Publishing
Web Services / Supply Chain Automation / Business Integration
Geographic Applications and Services
*14.

Of the following PostgreSQL feature and tool categories, please pick the
two where new features, tools, and further development would matter the
most to your organization.

Large database features (partitioning, parallel query, etc.)
Horizontal Scalability (master-slave replication, async clustering)
High Availability (hot standby, failover, load balancing)
Administrative Tools (management tools, backup, monitoring)
OLTP Performance (tranactions per second)
Modules and deployment management (contrib, disk images, installers,
3rd-party modules)
Security (encrypted database, SEPostgres, Role-based management)
Advanced Features (SQL/MED, XML, special data types)
Geographic Database (PostGIS)
*15.

Do you, or would you, use a paid-licenses enhanced version of
PostgreSQL, such as Postgres Plus Advanced Server, Mammoth PostgreSQL,
Truviso, or Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL?

No, we only use pure open source PostgreSQL.
Yes, if it offered compelling enough features.
Yes, we're currently evaluating one.
Yes, we already use one.

If you answered any "yes" option in Question 15 above, please check the
products which you use or are evaluating:

Postgres Plus Advanced Server
Fujitsu Supported PostgreSQL
Truviso
Mammoth PostgreSQL
Greenplum
Aster Data
Paraccel
If other, please specify
17.

If you answered any "yes" option in Question 16 above, please choose
your primary reason for using this enhanced version of PostgreSQL?

Features mainstream PostgreSQL doesn't have, like streaming or clustering.
Packaging, integration and deployment
Support and Quality assurance.
Included Management Tools
General Performance