Re: random slow query

From: Mike Ivanov <mikei(at)activestate(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sean Ma <seanxma(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: random slow query
Date: 2009-06-30 19:10:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Marlowe wrote:
> Close, but it'll use that memory for cache. Large buffers are not
> typical in linux, large kernel caches are.

OK, we're talking about different things. You're right.

> If that tutorial says that, then that tutorial is wrong. I'm guessing
> what that tutorial is talking about, and what top is saying are two
> very different things though.

Then it is an amazingly common misconception. I guess it first appeared
in some book and then reproduced by zillion blogs. Essentially this is
what Goolgle brings you on 'swap cache' query.

Thanks for clearing that out.

>>> It's normal, and shouldn't worry anybody. In fact it's a good sign
>>> that you're not using way too much memory for any one process
>> It says exactly the opposite.

This time I agree :-)

Cheers,
Mike