Re: Stuck cvs lock on anoncvs repository

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuck cvs lock on anoncvs repository
Date: 2009-06-28 08:23:36
Lists: pgsql-www

Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Marc G. Fournier<scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> wrote:
>>> More often then when ppl commit? What would be the point to that?
>
>> Well, the whole point of using rsync is that it only copies what has
>> changed, so there is very little overhead involved in running it when
>> nothing has changed.
>
> This is kind of missing the point, which is that we are talking about
> blowing away lockfiles. Having that happen frequently and automatically
> doesn't sound like a particularly good idea.
>
> One thing I'm wondering is why cvs is taking out locks at all, since
> it's certainly not committing to the repository. I guess even a "cvs
> update" locks things momentarily, but can we prevent that?

the problem is that we transferred the locks from cvs.postgresql.org to
anoncvs.postgresql.org which confused cvs running on anoncvs.
The system as set up is by default triggered by somebody commiting -
however there is also a cronjob that does one forced sync every day.
The forced sync ran concurrently with marcs tagging of 8.4.0 and caused
some lockdirectories to get synced over to anoncvs.
I think that simply excluding those lock directories is enough to fix
this for our purpose.

Stefan