Re: Data in a table to a csv file

From: Joshua Berry <yoberi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: aravind chandu <avin_friends(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: postgresql Forums <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data in a table to a csv file
Date: 2009-05-18 20:53:37
Lists: pgsql-general

> I have a small problem,I need to export data from a table
> into a csv file.For this i am using pqxx library to work on it.I can
> able to retrieve the data from the database but the only problem is
> I am unable to store it in a csv file.Can you guys please help me
> how to do that.

I'm no Postgresql expert, but I've used the builtin "COPY" SQL
command. You can find the documentation on it here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/sql-copy.html

Note:
1. Using COPY in this way is that Postgresql will create the csv file
on the server's filesystem, not on your client machine, if you use a
different machine for server and client.
2. when you create the file, the directory that you create the file in
must be writable by Postgres, I just always use /tmp as anyone can
create files in that directory.
3. #2 is probably specific to UNIX environments like Linux or MacOS X.

HTH,

-Joshua

Joshua Berry