Re: performance with query

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Alberto Dalmaso" <dalmaso(at)clesius(dot)it>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: performance with query
Date: 2009-06-17 14:48:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

Alberto Dalmaso <dalmaso(at)clesius(dot)it> wrote:
> Ok, here are the last rows for the vacuum analyze verbose
>
> INFO: free space map contains 154679 pages in 39 relations
> DETAIL: A total of 126176 page slots are in use (including
> overhead).
> 126176 page slots are required to track all free space.
> Current limits are: 160000 page slots, 5000 relations, using 1476
? kB.

No indication of bloat there. You could afford to free some RAM by
reducing the max_fsm_relations setting. (You have 39 relations but
are reserving RAM to keep track of free space in 5000 relations.)

> and I attach the complete explain analyze of the complex query.

I'll see what I can glean from that when I get some time.

> All the where clausole are on indexed colums (perhaps there are too
> many indexes...)

That's not usually a problem.

The other thing I was hoping to see, which I don't think you've sent,
is an EXPLAIN ANALYZE of the same query with the settings which you
have found which cause it to pick a faster plan. As I understand it,
that runs pretty fast, so hopefully that's a quick one for you to
produce.

-Kevin