left outer join on more than 2 tables?

From: Carol Cheung <cacheung(at)consumercontact(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: left outer join on more than 2 tables?
Date: 2009-06-16 20:59:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
I have 3 tables

region:
id
region_name

city:
id
city_name
region_id

complaint:
id
date
city_id

I would like to find the counts of complaints by region and I would like
all regions to be displayed, regardless of whether or not complaints
exist for that region. Is left outer join what I'm looking for?
I'm stuck at this point:
select r.region_name, count(1) from region r left outer join city c,
complaint k on (k.city_id = c.id and r.id = c.region_id) group by
r.region_name
Of course this doesn't work ...
Can anyone provide their insight as to how I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance,