Re: News moderation

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: News moderation
Date: 2009-06-09 17:06:20
Lists: pgsql-www

Dave,

> Huh? It's not exactly hard now. Open the item, check it, click the
> approved checkbox and hit submit/save. It's not likely to get any
> easier, without removing the need to open it - and you can't properly
> moderate anything you didn't write yourself without opening it and
> reading it anyway.

Examples:

1) We have a policy that non-contributing companies only get one News
every 6 months, period. Try to search on how many announcements a
company has had in 6 months.

2) We have a policy of no minor releases or betas, *unless* it's the
first PG support by the product. Try to search on whether a particular
product has ever been announced before.

3) Try to figure out how many training events a specific company is
submitting. Or whether they've submitted duplicate listings *without*
approving and of the events first.

4) If we want to reject an item with feedback, there is no "reject with
feedback" button, let alone canned standard responses.

5) There is no way to flag an item as "please do not approve, awaiting
response from submitter" so that we can "hold" stuff while we check
something. Or while we discuss stuff on -slaves.

6) The professional services form does not have any required fields,
meaning that we have to bounce about 50% of submissions on not having
enough information.

We can work around all of the above, but it's labor-intensive. Which is
one reason why you see people dropping behind on approvals, or simply
approving everything whether it's in our policy or not.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.