Re: Multicolumn index corruption on 8.4 beta 2

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Florian Weimer" <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Floris Bos / Maxnet" <bos(at)je-eigen-domein(dot)nl>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multicolumn index corruption on 8.4 beta 2
Date: 2009-06-09 17:52:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Yeah, AFAICT the writes are handed off to the operating system (just
> not synced), so if it flushes its caches sanely at all there
> shouldn't be a problem.

I would certainly *hope* that's the case. We sometimes use fsync=off
for conversions, where we plan to just start over if the conversion
crashes, and set it to on when the conversion is done. It would be
disturbing to discover that fsync=off also means "don't bother to
write dirty buffers to the OS before shutdown."

-Kevin