Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp

From: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp
Date: 2007-02-03 21:58:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Feb 3, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:

> On 2/3/2007 4:05 PM, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
>>>
>>> Since the timestamp is basically a Lamport counter which is just
>>> bumped be the clock as well, it doesn't need to be too precise.
>> Unless I'm missing something, you are _treating_ the counter as a
>> Lamport timestamp, when in fact it is not and thus does not
>> provide semantics of a Lamport timestamp. As such, any
>> algorithms that use lamport timestamps as a basis or assumption
>> for the proof of their correctness will not translate (provably)
>> to this system.
>> How are your counter semantically equivalent to Lamport timestamps?
>
> Yes, you must be missing something.
>
> The last used timestamp is remembered. When a remote transaction is
> replicated, the remembered timestamp is set to max(remembered,
> remote). For a local transaction, the remembered timestamp is set
> to max(remembered+1ms, systemclock) and that value is used as the
> transaction commit timestamp.

A Lamport clock, IIRC, require a cluster wide tick. This seems based
only on activity and is thus an observational tick only which means
various nodes can have various perspectives at different times.

Given that time skew is prevalent, why is the system clock involved
at all?

As is usual distributed systems problems, they are very hard to
explain casually and also hard to review from a theoretical angle
without a proof. Are you basing this off a paper? If so which one?
If not, have you written a rigorous proof of correctness for this
approach?

// Theo Schlossnagle
// CTO -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/