Re: [Fwd: Re: dblink patches for comment]

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: dblink patches for comment]
Date: 2009-06-06 18:27:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com> writes:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> you will need to whip up a special-purpose quoting subroutine.
>
>> OK, I see that. I assume I need to care for encoding issues? If so, do I
>> assume server encoding or client encoding?
>
> Hoo, good point. You can assume the database (server) encoding, because
> that's what the local encoding is from the point of view of libpq ---
> and the code in conninfo_parse knows nothing of encodings anyway. So
> that's a no-op as far as the quoting itself goes.

OK, got it. I think the attached is what you're looking for, although I
have not yet tested beyond "it compiles" and "it passes make installcheck".

> But that reminds me, weren't you going to add something to force libpq to set client_encoding
> to the database encoding?

Yes, I was going to work that next. I assume it is pretty
straightforward, but I've never been particularly strong on the nuances
of encodings...

Joe

Attachment Content-Type Size
dblink.2009.06.06.01-sqlmed.diff text/x-patch 10.3 KB