Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Initialise perl library as documented in perl API.

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Initialise perl library as documented in perl API.
Date: 2009-06-04 17:57:00
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> That's what we have a buildfarm for ;-) There's a failure on FBSD too
>> by the look of it. I'll dig some more to see what I can find.
>>

> I see this when building HEAD on Fedora 10:
>
> plperl.c: In function 'plperl_init_interp':
> plperl.c:450: warning: null argument where non-null required (argument 3)
>
> Seems like a good hint ...

Yeah. I didn't get that. But the odd thing is that on 5.8 especially it
shouldn't matter.

perl 5.8.8's perl.h has:

#ifndef PERL_SYS_INIT3
# define PERL_SYS_INIT3(argvp,argcp,envp) PERL_SYS_INIT(argvp,argcp)
#endif

and the only place it's defined elsewhere that I can see is for OS2 (for
anyone still running it!). These two Unixware machines have 5.8.8. and
the FBSD machine has 5.8.7. So surely it can't be that, unless I'm
missing something badly.

The unixish.h file has this on 5.8:

# define PERL_SYS_INIT(c,v) MALLOC_CHECK_TAINT2(*c,*v)
PERL_FPU_INIT MALLOC_INIT

I'm guessing the problem is actually somewhere in there.

I could construct a dummy environment to pass to perl to quiet that
warning, or I could even clone the environment - I'm mildly reluctant to
pass the real environment to this, as the perlembed man page blandly
tells us that this macro might mangle what is passed to it (even though
we know on 5.8 it doesn't).

cheers

andrew