Re: Plan time Improvement - 64bit bitmapset

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Plan time Improvement - 64bit bitmapset
Date: 2009-06-03 19:18:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> My money's still on very large statistics targets. If you have a lot
> of columns and 1,000-element arrays for each column that can get big
> pretty quickly.

I'm finding that even the ones that had a plan time in the range of
260 ms go down to 15 ms to 85 ms once the statistics are cached. I
wonder if the long run time is because it's having to read statistics
multiple times because they don't fit in cache? Like with really wide
values? Would the wider bitmap type help with that situation in any
way?

-Kevin