Re: Managing multiple branches in git

From: Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Date: 2009-06-03 01:55:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Mark Mielke <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc> writes:
>
>> As a "for example", you could have a local repo that you publish from.
>> Your work spaces could be from that local repo.
>>
> Yes, exactly. How do I do that? My complaint is that git fails to
> provide a distinction between a repo and a workspace --- they seem
> to be totally tied together.

Hehe... my "for example" is a bit ambiguous. I was talking about one
common model I've seen under git where people have private and public
repos. The private repo is where you do your main work. Commits are
"published" by pushing them to your public repo and making them
generally available for others to pull from. Under this model, your
private repo could clone the public repo using --shared to keep the
working copy at minimal size. You could have multiple private repos if
this is required for your workflow. Still, it becomes a multi-step
process to commit. 1) Commit to your private repo, 2) Push to your
public repo, 3) If you use a centralized repo, you need another process
to push or pull the change from your public repo to the centralized repo.

Another poster referenced "git-new-workdir". It really does look like
what you are looking for:

http://blog.nuclearsquid.com/writings/git-new-workdir

If it lives up to its advertisement, it gives you a new working copy
with a new index, but linked directly to the shared repo rather than
having its own repo.

Cheers,
mark

--