8.4 release draft: a new tack

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Josh Williams <joshwilliams(at)ij(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 8.4 release draft: a new tack
Date: 2009-06-01 18:41:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-es-ayuda

All,

I had an interesting conversation about the release draft with a
professional PR person. What he said, in a nutshell, was that is was
extremely boring (although he used stronger language than that).

And, reading it afresh this morning, I have to agree.

What I'm hearing about from users is that each one has their own
favorite feature (out of the 293 in the release) which will make their
life vastly easier. The cited favorite features are extremely diverse,
ranging from column permissions to the SSL cleanup to partial GIN
matches to CIText to \df.

I'm wondering if that should be the "story" of our release.
"PostgreSQL: easier to manage than ever before." It would give some
badly-needed structure to the release.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.