Re: User-facing aspects of serializable transactions

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Markus Wanner" <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, "Greg Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Jeff Davis" <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "<pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: User-facing aspects of serializable transactions
Date: 2009-06-01 18:14:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> But it's certainly insufficient in an OLAP or DSS environment where
> transactions can take hours. If you can never know for sure that
> you've written your transaction safely and it might randomly fail
> and need to be retried any given day due to internal implementation
> issues you can't predict then I would call the system just broken.

I absolutely guarantee that it means that a transaction like that
should not be run at the SERIALIZABLE transaction isolation level
without some other protection. I don't know that I would say the
system is broken when that's true; it seems to me more a matter of
having a tool in you tookbox which isn't the right one for every job.

The question is, is it an unacceptably risky foot-gun?

-Kevin