Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC

From: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Switching databases over JDBC/ODBC
Date: 2009-05-30 07:46:33
Lists: pgsql-general

John R Pierce wrote:
> Scott Bailey wrote:
>> Well at work we've got Oracle, MySQL, MS SQL and Postgres. So I
>> generally use Aqua Data Studio because it works with all of them. For
>> MySQL and MS SQL you register a single connection to the server and
>> can switch to any database. But with Postgres, you have to register a
>> new connection for every database because you can't switch once
>> connected.
>>
>> I just figured that if even Microsoft can do it, surely we can.
>

> you could always use SCHEMA instead of DATABASE if thats what you want.
>
> btw, in Oracle, you need a different connection for different database
> instances, too.

Well, that's true. The difference with Oracle is that you can only have
a single database per server instance. (Which is really dumb IMO) But
that being the case, schema are regularly used to partition the server
in Oracle. On DMBS's that support multiple databases you never see
SCHEMA being used this way.